The Whitehouse released its The U.S. Digital Services Playbook (link goes to GitHub) today. It appears that our government is going Agile. That is an excellent move. The playbook (http://playbook.cio.gov) details 13 Digital Service Plays. I was most interested in The TechFAR Handbook on the GitHub project page under its “About” section. In the Federal Requisition Regulation (FAR) handbook we see the emphasis on an Agile Methodology. This #STEM worker approves. I have been a part of such an agile team (SCRUM) for one project and utilized agile concepts in many companies. This works as project management tool.
26-JUNE-2014 thru present
Using PERL to analyze GEDCOM. On a Mac! Cannot write Swift without Mac OS X.10. Have the XCode, now I need the OS updated.
04-JUNE-2014 thru 08-JUNE-2014
Learning Swift programming language (new from Apple’s WWDC)
Assembled Documentation, Read Some, 1st Impression SWIFT = Objective-PERL
I love SWIFT because I love PERL and the consistency, and elimination of errors before run-time
05-AUG-2013 thru 11-AUG-2013
- Installed Oracle12c on Windows
- Learned about Common vs Local User, Oerr ORA 65096
- Learned about Container, Pluggable databases
ALTER PLUGGABLE DATABASE ... ;
- Started using MailStoreHome for Email Archival
- Learned of the software from Library of Congress
10-FEB-2013 – 15-MAY-2013
- Using MySQL v5.5 for idea of an App
- Used PERL to analyze GEDCOM files for anomalies
- Using TOAD for MySQL v6.3 for database work
- Familiarized myself with GitHub – not really part of #RootsTech 2012 ToDo List, but is related
- Learned/Used Graphic Syntax Diagrammer (atomble*)
- Used atomble to create a partial grammar for GEDCOM v5.5; made modest enhancements to v5.5
- CreatedGitHub repos.
- Corresponded with Tamura Jones. He provided an excellent article on GEDCOM.
- Updated last two blogs to reflect GEDCOM v5.5.1 being the defacto standard. Added 9 tags and removed 1 (BLOB) tag => 136 total tags.
- ?(day is young)
- tweaked graphic syntax diagram
- Emailed diagram to Ryan Heaton & Tamura Jones.
- As soon as I sent the email fixed typo in diagram and rendered some more things
- Read Brooke Ganz’s LeafSeek documentation.
- Rackspace Cloud Server – pricing: http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/cloud_hosting_products/servers/pricing/
- Bought PHP/MySql book after – motivated by Amy Johnson Crow
- Played with Steve Morse’s create a One-Step Search App.
- Created a Search App for Dziennik Polski – Detroit Newspaper database
- How did I lose a whole month away from technology? Other than the iPhone.
- Reacquainted myself with PERL shell scripting.
- Found an old perl script of mine that read gedcom files
- Modified the perl script (read_gedcom.pl) to read/analyze gedcom files and print some basic stats
- PERL shell scripting skills coming back.
- Mostly completed perl script to read/analyze gedcom files
- Created a new perl script (indent_gedcom.pl) to read/analyze gedcom files, print some basic stats and output an indented copy of the gedcom.
- I want to add UNICODE, and the ability to detect invalid GEDCOM tags to read_gedcom.pl .
- Learned a trick to embed Code into wordpress blog.
- saved a “DRAFT” entitled Sample Code
- See URL: http://en.support.wordpress.com/code/posting-source-code/
- Looks nice, SQL is supported (many languages)