Dateline – Philadelphia, PA — 17-July-2014 ●
Today my STEM musings turned to the IBM + Apple announcement this week. IBM has a long history of providing STEM hardware & services to the enterprise. As the enterprise has become more mobile and embraces concepts like BYOD (bring your own data) and other disruptive processes, there has been a need to provide the mobile hardware along with the mobile services. Who did IBM select … not Blackberry, not Microsoft and certainly not Android. They chose Apple and its iOS products to be the mobile platform that IBM delivers its mobile processes and services upon/with.
This should not be a surprise. I know it is a surprise. But it should not be a surprise as the iOS platform has replaced Blackberry for the enterprise. The iOS ecosystem is SECURE ! Gordon Kelly of Forbes, wrote a tech report, earlier this year. 97% of mobile malware is on the Android platform ! What about iPhone, Blackberry, Windows Phone? They totaled zero percent. The remaining 3% came from the cancelled Nokia Symbian smartphone.
Now there are many other reasons why IBM has selected iOS as the mobile platform that it will deliver its services for. Let’s watch this partnership evolve and see where it leads. Tim Cook of Apple said there was nice synergies with no overlap between the two organizations.
Please follow this on Flipboard …
Dateline – Philadelphia, PA — 11-Aug-2013 ●
The last week my STEM mind was turned towards working with Oracle’s new database, version 12c. The ‘c’ of 12c is for CLOUD. Downloading Oracle 12c was a job encompassing two ZIP files totaling 2.6 GB (gigabytes).
The Install was a bit different, but in just two attempts I was able to install the software and took defaults to create a default database. As it turned out that database was a Container DB. It was named ORCL (same as in past releases). What was different was that since it was a Container DB, it had a Pluggable DB (PDBORCL) and a Pluggable Seed DB (PDB$SEED).
See my blog post of 12-August-2013 for a fuller description.
How do you use a Container DB? It is quite a paradigm shift, that is sure to confuse long time DBAs.
-- connect to the container database connect / as sysdba select name from V$ACTIVE_SERVICES; ... pdb1.home orclXDB orcl.home SYS$BACKGROUND SYS$USERS show CON_NAME NAME -------- CBD$ROOT -- connect to pluggable database, PDBORCL connect /@localhost:1521/pdb1.home as sysdba Connected. show CON_NAME NAME -------- PDB1
This was good but I wanted to connect with the much easier syntax:
conn /@PDB1 as sysdba
To do this, I needed to edit the tnsnames.ora file. After editing (I duplicated the entry for ORCL) to create a service name PDB1 my file looked like:
Notice that the service name (pdb1.home) matches the active_service name from the
V$ACTIVE_SERVICES table ! The next time you enter Sql*Plus (or whatever developer tool you use), you will now be able to connect as:
And you will be connected to the pluggable database, PDB1 (inside the Container DB, ORCL). Your application need not know it is a pluggable database or a part of a Container DB. Your DBAs will need to know about this distinction, but your developers do not need to know anything different.
NEXT: Common User vs Local User
Dateline – Philadelphia, PA – 05-May-2013 ●
A couple of years ago, I heard President Obama use the acronym STEM in a speech. Stanczyk has always been interested in science & mathematics and through a funny quirk in my education I took a computer science course in high school. Thereafter, a life of engineering emphasizing computer software engineering & Very Large DataBases (VLDBs) ensued. So with my life, I have embraced, Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics (STEM).
About a year ago I got an idea, ‘S.T.E.M. Cell™’ which I will more fully develop. But I first wanted to trademark the name while I develop the concept. Hence the ‘™’ sprinkled about this page. I wanted to write more upon the STEM topics, so I added this page, as an offshoot of my blog about a topic I love, but not the central purpose of my blog — still a passion non-the-less.
Where did STEM, the acronym originate? I cannot find an earlier reference to STEM before Representative Vernon Ehlers (R-MI)in his 2010 article (Reflecting On STEM Education) from The Hill. In that article he references STEM as a 2005 bipartisan committee taking the forward looking view to fund Education in these fields. He also indicates that STEM evolved from the earlier use of the discordant sounding acronym, SMET (pre-2000, but actual year, not specified).
As befits a jester’s ruminations, it is a play on the words (and concepts) of a stem cell that can evolve into more specialized purposes. That is my page’s meme and I am sticking to it. I hope others will too.